Saturday, July 19, 2008

DAY ZERO- JULY 17, 2008

It was a very busy day today. The nurse showed me how to wash up before I could enter the isolation room, clean nails, wash hands & put on a gown...each & everytime I walk in the room. I also had to wipe down all his games, play systems & personal things.

He received his bone marrow transplant at 2:40 p.m. I sat at Mr. T's bedside and we held hands and said a prayer...thanking the anonymous bone marrow donor for donating their marrow in the hopes that a child could live. Somewhere there is a donor with a sore hip...they are well aware that their bone marrow is going to a child somewhere. I would just like them to know how very thankful we are....without this marrow...Mr. T wouldn't have a chance. Now he has a very good chance....and for that I thank them from the bottom of my heart. I won't be able to know who that person is until Mr. T is cancer free....and that's 5 years. Then it will be up to them if they want to meet with Mr. T.


He received 5 bags of bone marrow.....875ml and it took exactly 4 hours. Along with that he received anti-rejection drugs. Everything went really well. The nurse monitored his blood pressure constantly as well as his vitals. When it was over...he ordered 9 toasts with peanut butter and milk....and I thought he wouldn't be able to eat? Every child is different...there are no 2 alike....and neither is the way they respond to a transplant.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the good news. I hope it goes well from here on in, You wrote previously that rough times are still ahead for now, but - may the smooth ones surprise you with their numbers.

Smiling with you both!!