Wednesday, August 6, 2008

BEGGARS CAN'T BE CHOOSERS!

It took me exactly 3 weeks to get a room at RMH (Ronald Mcdonald House). They only have 28 rooms available and too many families in need of a room. I have to admit that upon seeing the house...getting a tour...it was a bit of a disappointment. A far cry from the Westin Hotel at Harbourfront.
I did speak to a young couple who had gotten a room at RMH a few days before me....and they weren't impressed to say the least. The very 1st night they spent there...they were so exhausted at midnight that they just fell into bed. The next morning while making the bed...they saw that the bedspread had a huge bloodstain on it(on the underside of the cover)...and then noticed other old stains on the sheets. The wife broke down in tears and wanted to go back to the hotel...but they couldn't afford it. The husband kept saying...'oh please let it be blood from a little kids nose'!

I advised them to go buy sheets and pillows. If spending a little money meant they got a good nights sleep....well then its worth it. The young couple ran to buy sheets, pillows and a blanket at Walmart.
It's not the staff who does the laundry. You have the 'honor' system there. All families are expected to do their own laundry, bedding and make sure to leave the room as clean as possible for the next family.
You can just imagine if a family stays from 3 to 6 months with children....there will be stains to contend with, and some people are just cleaner than others.

I had decided to check it out...before spending any money needlessly. Well it didn't take me long to find a Sears store. I bought queen size sheets, pillows, and a blanket. Yes...this is a double bed...but I will be bringing my sheets home when I leave.




Every room comes equipped with a television set, free cable and a VCR....as well as a telephone for local calls and an alarm clock.


Several people have asked me how I like the RMH and how it compares to a hotel. Well there is no comparison. A few of the parents will soon be coming here shortly from Ottawa. And yes, I have told them to bring their own linen & towels. Well....I'm not terribly fussy. As long as I have a clean bed and bathroom, I'm happy. In describing the house....I would use the terms old, grungy, shabby, grimy and in need of fresh paint everywhere. Let's not forget that RMH depends on donations for everything from painting, caulking tubs, repairs, linen, towels & so much more.

As you can see...the furniture is painted grey and the walls are papered which adds to the gloominess of the room.





The wonderful thing about RMH is that its an 8 minute walk for me....so no buses or cabs to take.



Yes I did take pictures....as I find a picture says a lot....and I won't be accused of exaggerating! Also don't forget.....to some people....living here is better than what they have at home....and to some....a lot worse! To each his own! To many of us....this is home away from home! You make the best of it. Just shut up and deal with it!
Downstairs they have 3 separate stand-in kitchens in one to serve the families. The one thing that makes the eating area so forbidding is the pipes running through the room at the ceiling...and then again a fresh coat of paint would do wonders here. The fridge and stove & microwave in each kitchen are new and spotless. Each room has a cupboard for your groceries that you can lock. They tell you to put name tags on anything you put in the fridges...but then again....things do go missing.

The chairs in the eating area have been painted bright to make the room look cosier......but instead the room just looks crowded and cluttered.













They have a deck at the back of the house with a covered deck that is used for the smokers....or families that want to bbq.


Because the deck is at the back of the house...you don't get much of a breeze. Again...this area is small & grungy....an area where all the families go to smoke, talk or just sit.



Yes....that 'is' a baby walker you see in the picture.
It totally amazes me that there are families that will sit out there for hours on end....smoking with their young children around. Some kids have just gotten a heart transplant, kidney transplant or bone marrow transplant......and yet the parents will sit there and let their kids suck in 2nd hand smoke....and sit with them at the table.
Some of the parents even hold their kids while they chain-smoke. Young mothers are out there smoking with baby strollers.
There is no sign on the door...stating that only adults of 18 or older are welcome on the deck.
I suppose that I'm just as bad...as I feel like saying something...but at the same time...I don't want to make waves. If you're that ignorant.....that you would smoke with your kids out there.....I don't think you would welcome my criticism.

I am not in any way putting down RMH. It's a home for many families while we go through tough ordeals here in Toronto. Just be prepared. Do as you would in a motel...bring your own sheets and pillows. Also....some RMH's are much newer than this one...and are better funded. That's the bottom line.....it's all about money.

I hope you enjoyed your visit! If you have anything to donate....whether its goods or service....please don't forget your local RMH.

2 comments:

Kacey said...

One of the major networks had a program on hotels and motels once. They used a black light and found nasty body fluids and such on everything---even the phone. Taking your own bedding to RMH is a very wise idea. I watch "Jon and Kate + Eight" on TLC and they wouldn't let their sextuplets off the motel bed when they went to DisneyWorld because of the germs. I wonder why she thought the bedspread was any cleaner? I'm keeping up with your posts about Tayten, but remain in awe of him and unable to say anything in the face of such illness. What a chicken I am!

Anonymous said...

How disappointing! But yes, funding is a huge issue for all RMH's.

The one we stayed at in Edmonton was old as well, but it was much brighter and cleaner. Sheets and towels were washed by the staff at the end of every visit, and in the 10 weeks I was there, they had a professional cleaning crew come in and clean the house and all the rooms three times. While much of the cleaning depended upon the guests, they also had a housekeeper on staff that worked to keep the house as clean and germ free as possible. It felt like a very safe environment for ill and vulnerable children.

Yes, it certainly is all about the money.