Monday, August 11, 2008

DAY PLUS 25 - AUGUST 11, 2008


Whoo hoo! I'm doing a happy dance! Great day today! The counts are coming up very nicely. WBC (white blood cells) are up to 1.9 and the polys.......are wayyyy up! From 0.18 to 0.51! We would be officially out of this isolation room at 0.5 but Mr. T still shows an infection in his stools.......but still........in a few days the infection will go....and so will we.

I am so excited......finally I can see the light and its getting bigger & brighter. Today I spoke to the Dr.....they have stopped the vancomycin as well as 2 other antibiotics. They will start to slow down the hydromorphone which is very addictive. And the Dr wants my grandson to start drinking and eating in preparation of going home. Hopefully...if everything goes well...I can see us leave in 2 weeks......the Dr. never said 2 weeks....but I don't see why not.

One Endo Dr. here said she doesn't see why we can't leave in 1 week...but I don't think that is realistic. He has to start eating and drinking....get rid of any infections....and get his platelets up...get off insulin and the TPN....so 2 weeks is more realistic. Also we may not be going home...but back to Cheo which is a lot closer to home...but that's okay with me. If everything goes well with Mr. T we may go straight home and visit the hospital twice a week for check-ups. So...it's anybody's guess right now...but we're getting closer to our goal.

I can't wait....even Mr. T is starting to realize that its not just wishful thinking....this is really happening. He even suggested to the nurse that she can take him off TPN....but of course she can't till he starts drinking & eating.

Hopefully I can convince him to start drinking a little more...and perhaps in a day or so...he can start on food. Just baby steps.

We may still get to enjoy some summer at home....yahoo!

3 comments:

noah patrick bright said...

Hi Tayten...glad to hear you are doing well. Thinking of you lots here in Ottawa. Keep on getting better, and we hope to see you soon! Not as an inpatient, but for a visit. Way to go, Tayten! Stay strong!

Noah Bright,
RN, CHEO.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Tayten! I'm glad to hear that everything is going so well. I read the blog almost every night, so keep on writing.
Best wishes,
Tammy and Rory

Anonymous said...

It gets so hard to remain patient when you can see the end coming. I'm glad to see that you remain optimistic but realistic at the same time. Some days that can be a hard mix to achieve.

Hopefully with home as an end goal it will be easier to get back to food than it was last time you needed Mr. T to eat. What a glorious day your discharge will be!

Jennifer