Friday, August 29, 2008

DAY PLUS 43 - AUGUST 29, 2008

We are now back at Cheo Hospital. What a nice warm reception we got. We arrived Wednesday at 7 p.m., and they already had a room prepared with his name on the door.
Mr. T was very pleased to be back here. By 9 p.m....both of us were sound asleep.

The next morning the doctors were in to see us., and so was the dietician and the pharmacist. The plan is to get Mr. T eating on a regular basis, adjust his diabetic medication as he is no longer on insulin and get an x-ray of his chest, so that we can go home next week with a clean bill of health.

I am so glad to be back here. The Oncology team is great. I have confidence in them. They all work closely together and make sure you understand everything. They answer all your questions, sit with you and explain what each medication is for...and what the plan is...so that you will feel confident going home. I can't say enough about Cheo. This is a wonderful, caring hospital for kids.
At Sick Kids, when you asked for the daily counts, they gave you a small slip of paper 3" x 3", with a few counts hand-written down. It didn't show 'what' the counts should be, or what was the norm. I found this very confusing...and the nurses didn't know either. These were the numbers they copied from the computer.
Here at Cheo when you ask for the blood counts, they give you a computerized print-out, a full sheet of paper with all the numbers and next to it in brackets what the normal numbers should be.
Today's counts:
WBC 8.71 (4.5-13.0)
Hgb 107 (120-160)
Platelets 132 (150-450)
Neutro-polys 5.75 (1.8-8.0)
These numbers are amazing! It's like holding the winning lottery numbers! Mr. T has not received platelets or blood products in the past 3 weeks. Although I know our journey is far from over...I can't help but be excited. Mr. T will have to be monitored closely, and follow a low-bacteria diet as well as a diabetic diet, and for 6 months stay close to home as he is high-risk for infection......but after all he's been through, this will be a piece of cake!
Hopefully I'll be blogging from home this time next week!
As for Mr. T......he is very cranky! He still is bothered with his right eye. They gave him Polysporin eye drops for the irritation caused by the shingles. His right eye is extremely sensitive to light (photo-sensitive)....so its difficult for him to watch television or play games. This also causes severe headaches...which they treat with Gabapentin & hydro-morphine. We have been away from home for 152 days....so he has every right to be cranky. The eye irritation shoud be gone in a week and so will we! We are on our way..........

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ya back home to cheo cheo is the best of course we already no that people have been there the ongonligy team works so closely together its amazeing they are amazing keep up the good work mr t and sandy :) with positive attitude and being back on familir grounds everything is going good
glad you are back :)
always praying and hopeing for you guys
yay for back home xox
chris (angel seb)

Kacey said...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow! He has been listening to people praying for Tayten from all over the world. You are both so brave....I wish I knew that I could handle it if something as bad as that came my way. In a couple of years, it will seem like a bad dream ... I hope!

Shimmerrings said...

Wow! The numbers are great! I'm so happy for you guys! Yesterday, when I was out doing surveys for the canal, I met a little girl, 4 years old, who is undergoing chemo. I asked her if she was in school, and her reply was, "no, I don't go to school, I have to have chemo, because I have cancer." My heart really went out to her and I thought of you guys. Bless her little heart, her hair was very thin and her eyes seemed dark and tired. Her mother said that she was diagnosed on a Tuesday and by that same Thursday she was already in remission, but she has to have the treatments for two years. Her mother said she really isn't displaying much sickness as a result of the chemo. I shared my son's story and yours and Mr. T's story with her. Hang in there, you're almost home!

Shimmerrings said...

... and btw, the little girls form of cancer is leukemia, too.