Saturday, August 23, 2008

DAY PLUS 37 - AUGUST 23, 2008

Today wasn't a good day! Mr. T threw up a few times....so breakfast was out! And because he didn't drink his quota today...they had to hook him back up to the saline......so no exercise either.


It seems like 1 step forward and 2 back.....but I'm not complaining. We're getting there slow but sure.
He did have 2 cans of diet ginger ale at 335 ml each.......but that's still not enough...they want him to drink at least 1,000 ml! I'm not going to push it....he cried from frustration....he thinks I'm pushing him too much to eat and drink...just because I want to get home soon.......and I assured him that's not the case. I'm just following the Dr's orders. But perhaps it is too much for Mr. T....maybe his body needs more time to recuperate, and he's extremely frustrated that he can't do what we demand..... and thats okay with me. Iknow we're on the last leg of our journey.....so I'm willing to let Mr. T go at his own pace. I think we are both frustrated & very homesick.

Today he also tried to eat....2 oz of chicken and a bite of a roasted potato...and a handful of chips.

4 days ago...I told his nurse that I thought Mr. T was coming down with a cold.....but unless he has a drippy nose or fever...they don't do anything. The next day...I told the nurse...I think his cough is worse....still....if he has no fever, no phlegm, well they don't bother.

Today...Mr. T was coughing a lot more....so this time I insisted that I want the Doctor to check him out.....his cough sounds phlegmy to me!
She told the doctor on call at 4 p.m.......and we waited & waited......and waited.
Everytime she came into the room...I asked her if the doctor was coming as I don't like the sound of his cough....a harsh, dry hacking cough.........and yes, she said...he was coming any time now.
My constant fear is that a simple cough can turn into pneumonia.......and we don't want or need any complications right now.........and still we waited. It is now 9 p.m.....and still no doctor.

Yes it is a Saturday.....so there is less staff.......I understand that...and this is a large hospital...so we have to be patient.

1 comment:

Shimmerrings said...

It's terribly frustrating when you feel as if no one is listening, because sometimes they really aren't... simply because you are "in tune" with him more than anyone else. I can understand, too, his frustration, when the body (mind) just can't seem to do what the body needs it to do. He does need to go at his own pace, it would seem, but you are also doing a jam-up job of making sure he is, at least, taking the small steps that he, otherwise, might not feel up to doing. Sounds like you have reached a happy medium. Hang in there, Matty! He's almost home!